Kerbal Space Program 1.12.3 is live!

StarSlay3r

Hello Kerbonauts!

Kerbal Space Program 1.12.3 is live!  This small patch addressed drifting issues with robotic parts and rotating docking ports.

Changelog:

=================================== v1.12.3 ============================================================
+++ Bugfixes
* Fix AOORE in Assembly Loading of Duplicate Mod DLLs causing issues with loading of some mods.
* Improved robotic parts drift when robotic parts are left locked. Players can now quicksave/reload or timewarp to reset part placement. Note: The drift issue can only be corrected when the robotic parts are set to locked mode.
* Improved rotating docking ports drift when rotating docking ports are left locked. Players can now quicksave/reload or timewarp to reset part placement. Note: The drift issue can only be corrected when the rotating docking ports are set to locked mode.

+++ Modding
* Add UpgradePipeline support for PartModule renaming.

Learn more about this patch and how it works in @JPLRepo's DevBlog - Drifting Along

You can still  help us find bugs/issues by reporting them into our bugtracker, but keep in mind that the team's focus is currently on KSP2 development, so bug fixing for the original game has slowed down significantly. 

Happy launchings! :happy:

I thought this was gonna just be an issue that stayed forever! Thanks so much for putting together this fix.

EDIT: Or maybe it still is? Haven't been able to test the patch yet. I thought for sure it'd do what it said on the tin.

Edited by RyanRising

4 minutes ago, RyanRising said:

I thought this was gonna just be an issue that stayed forever! Thanks so much for putting together this fix.

I wouldn't be so sure, this feature might not be tested properly. For me, the parts still save their drifted position if I lock them after launching the craft and then reloading the scene. Fresh install, completely deleted and redownloaded the game through Steam, even did the file validation after. 

1 hour ago, dok_377 said:

I wouldn't be so sure, this feature might not be tested properly. For me, the parts still save their drifted position if I lock them after launching the craft and then reloading the scene. Fresh install, completely deleted and redownloaded the game through Steam, even did the file validation after. 

By reloading the scene did you mean saving/loading the game, or just switching between scenes?

2 hours ago, RyanRising said:

EDIT: Or maybe it still is? Haven't been able to test the patch yet. I thought for sure it'd do what it said on the tin.

Ok, after some initial testing with docking ports it doesn't look like the issue is fixed at all. I put two docking ports together and put two ore tanks underneath them to provide a load, suspended the thing from launch clamps, and toggled the rotation unlocked and locked again for both. Then I quicksaved and quickloaded, and in rails timewarp the docking ports had a space between them despite being locked - exactly as expected for the robotic drift bug being still there, and exactly what I would not expect to see had the bug been fixed.

A little more testing shows that drift does not affect vessels that have robotics parts but are never taken out of the locked state. So this might work for docking ports if you don't touch them, or for robotic parts which are never used.

Edited by RyanRising

The docking port drift seems absolutely fixed from my initial testing (only use the rotation in space)

The robotic drift is a little more complicated.

Once the robotic part is unlocked it will cause a drift event. Whatever angle that the robotic part is at on relocking will be remembered on reloading the scene or on timewarping.

If the angle is big on locking it will be big on reloading the scene, even  if it wasn't big at the time before reloading the scene but after the locking. Does that make sense?

Fixing of the robotic drift was never the intention of this bug fix, its a way of reducing its affects only.

3 hours ago, Anth12 said:

Once the robotic part is unlocked it will cause a drift event. Whatever angle that the robotic part is at on relocking will be remembered on reloading the scene or on timewarping.

So that means we can only use robotic parts as regular parts only without the ability of unlocking/moving them, because as soon as we do - they will drift and save their positions even if you lock them back. Which makes this whole patch completely useless, it doesn't fix or improve basically anything at all. I just don't get it. We are this close to actually completely eliminating the issue, just enable this feature in flight as soon as we lock the robotic part so it will just reset the position the next time you reload/warp, but no, for the millionth's time something doesn't seem to work. Is it that hopeless? 

6 hours ago, MechBFP said:

By reloading the scene did you mean saving/loading the game, or just switching between scenes?

Switching. But considering the explanations above, I don't think it matters at this point. 

Edited by dok_377

35 minutes ago, dok_377 said:

So that means we can only use robotic parts as regular parts only without the ability of unlocking/moving them, because as soon as we do - they will drift and save their positions even if you lock them back. Which makes this whole patch completely useless, it doesn't fix or improve basically anything at all. I just don't get it. We are this close to actually completely eliminating the issue, just enable this feature in flight as soon as we lock the robotic part so it will just reset the position the next time you reload/warp, but no, for the millionth's time something doesn't seem to work. Is it that hopeless? 

Switching. But considering the explanations above, I don't think it matters at this point. 

I will admit, it's not completely useless - if you never unlock docking ports, they now work as well as they did pre-1.12. That's something.

But I do think @JPLRepo glossed over an important point in the devblog that makes this fix much less effective than it would otherwise be - that the robotic parts still save their and all the craft's parts' physics-modified positions upon locking, meaning simply locking robotic parts when you're not moving them won't fix robotic drift. Only never unlocking them will.

Edited by RyanRising

1 minute ago, RyanRising said:

that the robotic parts still save their and all the craft's parts' physics-modified positions upon locking, meaning simply locking robotic parts when you're not moving them won't fix robotic drift. Only never unlocking them will.

What defeats the very purpose of having robotics at first place.

Just now, RyanRising said:

I will admit, it's not completely useless - if you never unlock docking ports, they now work as well as they did pre-1.12.

That's hardly something, considering that docking drift wasn't even in the game pre 1.12, but you're right. At least that fix is in the game itself now, not in the mod. Now we just need the proper fix for the robotics.