Introducing For Science! - Major Content Update Out in December

Intercept Games

8 hours ago, atomontage said:

I agree with PDCWolf.

It would be  very cool to see science experiments to actually take time to perform and consume a resource (say EC). Yes, Kerbalism style.
The brilliant level would be if it also required some situations or other resources (be in a polar orbit only, dayside only; mine ore the same time the experiment is performing, etc). Yes, full Kerbalism style - personally I love it.

Also modders have already dug out (months before) the time constraint for experiments. That makes me believe.

Otherwise its not that fun to simply click a button and get instanteneous science points.
(Perhaps it also could be toggable in difficulty settings? Or is it too much?..)

ImageThere IS a time to do.

2 hours ago, kirmie44 said:

I'm happy we are moving forward but there was a time when I had hope that the science system was reworked to be a bit more like kerbalism for the collection process. Also I was hoping for a mission based part unlocking system.

16 minutes ago, Jaypeg said:

ImageThere IS a time to do.

And Chris Adderley had hinted about this in his ama and ama follow ups. Im psyched to see more about whats involved in deploying these and what that means for gameplay. Balance is the real question, and the hardest nut to crack. Id also really like to see this system folded into flight information like a flight planner and trajectory prediction factoring drag. 

Overall this is awesome news and Im so, so grateful and proud of all the devs for pushing through this difficult phase. Nate seemed to be pretty real and pretty cognizant of the not-so-great initial rollout but I really appreciate his determination. It looks like he’s taking responsibility for the overestimation of appetite for big bugs, which… I don’t know. Ive been marched up a hill to be the ‘good soldier’ before. Capitalism is brutal. What matters is the work. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

9 hours ago, fulgur said:

That's one small step for a Kerbal - another step for friendship - and a big-S leap...
FOR SCIENCE!

I understand that reference!!!

Also AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH SCIENCE UPDATE HYPE AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH ;)

But I have two minor nitpicks: first off, I really hope those science reports are temporary. I was really hoping KSP2 would have better reports than "you did the experiment" etc.

Also, no Gene Kerman? :(

25 minutes ago, TwoCalories said:

I really hope those science reports are temporary. I was really hoping KSP2 would have better reports than "you did the experiment" etc.

Have no fear.  Over the last several weeks I've written a mind-boggling huge batch of unique science reports, just for this.  :happy: :valhappy:

Just now, Just Jim said:

Have no fear.  Over the last several weeks I've written a mind-boggling huge batch of unique science reports, just for this.  :happy: :valhappy:

You just singlehandedly outperformed all KSP1 mod creators in terms of the rate you made science definitions!

49 minutes ago, RevanX_LSR said:

You just singlehandedly outperformed all KSP1 mod creators in terms of the rate you made science definitions!

I don't know about that. I think getting to write them 8 hours a day, everyday, kind of gives me an unfair advantage... lol   :valhappy:  :happy:

That's surely some huge news for me! I can't express just how excited and hyped I was when I first opened this post. Finally, finally was the release of the Science update officially announced!

Plus, one reason keeping some of the players away from KSP2 are the lack of features. With the upcoming addon, I am expecting more people will re-start playing the game so we can hopefully get more high-quality contents soon!

Edit: Just heard that Blackrack has been helping with KSP2's development recently. Sounds like good news to me for the team has been joined by another excellent modder.

Edited by Alpha_star

16 hours ago, Intercept Games said:

Screenshot 2023-10-10 13-06-07.png

I've got a question here.  In the Science Experiment box in the above shot, it is stated that the part returns "both".  Both...what?  Are there multiple different types of data that can be collected?  Is this simply the difference between numbers and soil samples?  Where would atmospheric samples come into play?

If I'm honest, all I thought while reading this is "I'll believe it when I see it". The cynic in me is telling me it's just a marketing push in the run up to Christmas.

I hope I'm wrong and everything can be delivered on time and without game breaking bugs. It would certainly go a long way to restoring confidence in the game.

2 hours ago, Voculus said:

Will the coming update have HOTAS support?

Just like to signal boost this. I got a HOTAS just for KSP1 because using the keyboard was so janky. It's a must have for me.

This is awesome news! Just in time for Xmas, it might be time to finally buy it! And it's even more awesome to hear that @Just Jim has been scorching his keyboard writing scireports.

My biggest hope for KSP2, is that when kerbonaut skill progression is added * that it isn't a passive linear progression. A proper multi-dimensional skill tree like in Star Wars: Galaxies would be fantastic.

* (or has it already? I haven't been following that close...)

1 hour ago, Scarecrow71 said:

I've got a question here.  In the Science Experiment box in the above shot, it is stated that the part returns "both".  Both...what?  Are there multiple different types of data that can be collected?  Is this simply the difference between numbers and soil samples?  Where would atmospheric samples come into play?

Im pretty sure the return type refers to how it can be returned. The screenshot with the purple thing shows that some science parts can only be returned via physically returning to the ksc, both probably means it can be returned both by transmission and by physical means (also this implies some science types may only be transmissable via radio transmission which seems interesting).

1 hour ago, TRAPPIST-1E said:

I just have to ask, where has Wernher von Kerman gone??

Argentina

14 hours ago, Ashiepoppy said:

This is the update that will save KSP2, I am calling it!

I think what will really 'save' KSP2 is: "this mode will allow for resource collection and utilization, as well as the establishment of automated resource delivery routes. We want you to be able to continue the campaigns you start in December through all future colony, interstellar, and resource-gathering updates." The entirely redone resource system will, I think, make or break KSP2. The update(s) that resource collection / colonies comes out will be massive. Because it is system rebuilt entirely on the backend there is guaranteed to be bugs - we'll see if the community is patient enough to let the devs fix the eventual bugs or if they flip-out instead. It is going to be tough to implement a resource system which works well with the new colony system, is favorable for the modding community.

Excited to see the Science Sr. and everything else this update will bring. I'll need to recreate the mission in my thumbnail to update it to the gorgeous KSP2 heat-effects graphics.

10 minutes ago, Barrackar said:

I think what will really 'save' KSP2 is: "this mode will allow for resource collection and utilization, as well as the establishment of automated resource delivery routes. We want you to be able to continue the campaigns you start in December through all future colony, interstellar, and resource-gathering updates." The entirely redone resource system will, I think, make or break KSP2. The update(s) that resource collection / colonies comes out will be massive. Because it is system rebuilt entirely on the backend there is guaranteed to be bugs - we'll see if the community is patient enough to let the devs fix the eventual bugs or if they flip-out instead. It is going to be tough to implement a resource system which works well with the new colony system, is favorable for the modding community.

Excited to see the Science Sr. and everything else this update will bring. I'll need to recreate the mission in my thumbnail to update it to the gorgeous KSP2 heat-effects graphics.

would really like to see surface bases with actual purposes. something i wish was in ksp1 :(

6 hours ago, TriggerAu said:

I'd call it a medium term solution, and one that we will be constantly reviewing as creations get bigger and bigger - we cant "joint for ever" . We spent time before going this direction to validate it was the right step with this games architecture and define variations/alternates/options that will be considerations of the future as well 

Would a long term solution possibly be the use of DOTS for more than just colonies. By DOTS I mean more than just Burst and the Job system, I'm talking like, ECS. A partial transformation of the game to ECS would significantly increase performance.

Is the Job system and Burst compiler already in use yet? If not, just a few heavy math operations done in a burstified job would make it 50x faster!

I really hope that the roadmap updates will be coming more frequently than once a year. At this rate KSP2 1.0 will be released in 2027, 7 years after when it was originally scheduled for release. 

I use to be excited for KSP2 ever since the original trailer in 2019 but my enthusiasm has waned a lot. It was hit hard when early access was released in such a poor state and then again after the wobbly rocket announcement (it just showed to me that they are pushing forward on a system that clearly can't scale to the performance required for huge part counts they promised). So I have muted feelings about the update, it good to see progress but it also just seems like there is a long way to go (if the dream is even possible they way they are doing it).

22 hours ago, Intercept Games said:

In other exciting news, today we’re at Space Creator Day – Creative Director Nate Simpson gave a first look at For Science! to space enthusiasts and creators. He also chatted with creators about the update and answered their questions. 

Is there a VOD of Nate's talk, or was it live or nothing?

1 hour ago, GradientOGames said:

Would a long term solution possibly be the use of DOTS for more than just colonies. By DOTS I mean more than just Burst and the Job system, I'm talking like, ECS. A partial transformation of the game to ECS would significantly increase performance.

Is the Job system and Burst compiler already in use yet? If not, just a few heavy math operations done in a burstified job would make it 50x faster!

Various parts of the code do already use these kind of multi-threading and performance tools - Jobs is in a range of the Physics type calculations. Finding the best solution for each challenge invariably includes where can/should we use these types of tools - PhysX Joints don't lend themselves to that "easily", but lots of adjacent to Joints things do.