HarvesteR has some news...and some hope

I don't doubt HarvesteR's abilities to pull off another space sim, but KSP has those little green gimmicks. Those little guys are a big reason KSP was a success. If he plans on trying to work those types of characters into a new game he may have a tough time walking that IP infringing tightrope with Take2. 

Seems like he's the only one to learn lessons from KSP1 so I trust him after seeing all of that applied to Kithack. Hopefully he learnt all the lessons and has outgrown the "developer asymptotes" phase.

17 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

The fact that he is considering leaving Kithack so soon is concerning.

The product was plenty matured and solidly pointing at a concrete direction when it came out, one of the lessons he learned I guess, plus it was just an evolution from Balsa. I'd say there's not much more that can be added to it considering the more focused scope it has and I'd be pretty surprised if he keeps working on it for a full more year.

19 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

I see no reason to be concerned. He knows full well what it will take resource and talent wise. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, calabus2 said:

I don't doubt HarvesteR's abilities to pull off another space sim, but KSP has those little green gimmicks. Those little guys are a big reason KSP was a success. If he plans on trying to work those types of characters into a new game he may have a tough time walking that IP infringing tightrope with Take2. 

It can be purple gerbils instead for Kerbals for all I care, I’m more in it for what you can do in the game. 
or. The million dollar idea. CSP, Capibara Space Program 

think I’d get behind HarvesteR’s next project very fast even though I still feel butthurt from KSP2.

Edited by GGG-GoodGuyGreg

Let's go! Let's develop Capibara Space Program, Cute capibaras rinding dangerous space capable contraptions xD... Don't forget to include n-body physics and accurate aerodynamics!

6 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

serves me right for buying ANOTHER early access game and be left with an unfinished clunky bugfest... XD

Curious to see where this'll go, but I'll be completely honest that I'm not super interested at first pass. Not that the game would be poorly built or vaporware or anything like that, but I'm a systems driven player and Harvester is a very sandbox and self-motivation designer. I prefer games where I've got concrete goals to work towards, and relatively defined methods to advance, develop or exploit to get to that point, while Harvester likes giving you a pile of toys to find the fun in. Part of the reason I was excited for KSP2 was that colonies, resource routes and interstellar all indicated they were connecting more systemic elements into the game.

I'm sure Harvester will make a good game, he's got quite a few under his belt at this point, but I don't think it'll be the game for me to replace KSP2 with.

Whatever it is, it won't be Kerbal, with Kerbals in it, about Kerbals breaking stuff.

That's the thing.

It's Kerbals being such an incredibly amazing character and idea that their existence will forever overshadow any other spaceflight mascot.

8 minutes ago, MARL_Mk1 said:

Whatever it is, it won't be Kerbal, with Kerbals in it, about Kerbals breaking stuff.

That's the thing.

It's Kerbals being such an incredibly amazing character and idea that their existence will forever overshadow any other spaceflight mascot.

Sure, but it could be something else.  I mean, an early descriptor somewhere was kerbals are more human looking minions.  Why not a blue spheroid with a couple of arms out the side and legs?  As as it smiles and has big eyes people will love it.

No it won't be kerbal space program, call it Alphas Beginning Colonization .

It won't be Kerbals, but I have faith in Felipe knowing what KSP is and has learned the lessons in these years and able to make something very much like KSP. Unlike mere artist and fan Nate "Woblly rockets are fun and funny" Simpson and a whole team of devs who had no clue what KSP was and were not able to deliver on Nate's big promises nor learned those lessons.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Gargamel said:

*capybara

But anyways, this won’t see fruition for at least 5-10 years.  

KSP-3 will be at the same time Half Life 3, making both prophecies fulfilled.

Because it will happen in the third half  of life for many.

Edited by kerbiloid

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

KSP-3 will be at the same time Half Life 3, making both prophecies fulfilled.

Because it will happen in the third half  of life for many.

Did you just solve the mystery why HL3 won't exist?

1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

You really  think KSP 1's success was just  HarvesteR.

No, but considering he was lead everything in the earliest days of KSP, then the lead for the KSP team right up to its full release, and then repeated that for the entirety of Kithack with a sub-ten person team, the prognosis of assumptions is good. I don't need to speak much about KSP's wider perception and reception, and Kithack has been very well received by its admittedly small audience - Harvester seems to have a knack for success in niches. And atop of that, he either has a now repeated history of bringing on the right talent for the job to make a good game, or he himself is the right talent for the job to make a good game. Outside of pure solo devs its almost impossible to separate the two, but outside of nerd fights on the deepest corners of the internet, the functional difference is of little relevance, because both lead to good games being made.

Nothing anyone makes is guaranteed to turn out well, but so far Harvester has the history of results to back up the idea that his own return to the space flight genre won't be a disaster. Contrast this to Nate, who outside of the obvious and most recent events, has at best a spotty history whenever in a more leadership role in the industry, and I'm not surprised people are jumping for joy at the mere prospect of Harvester being interested in returning to the space.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

You really  think KSP 1's success was just  HarvesteR.

I believe he had thrown the spear farther than the KSP-2 team did.

Edited by kerbiloid