One Year of KSP2

Nate Simpson

Anniversary_1Year__Landscape_V2.png

Tomorrow marks one whole year since the Early Access launch of KSP2. How is it that a year can fly past in a heartbeat while also containing so much stuff?

In that time, our team has released a total of 11 updates and knocked out more than 2441 bugs. We’ve brought new physics systems online (re-entry heating, more rigid rockets) and we’ve added new features (Exploration Mode, Science collection, and Missions). As good as it’s felt to work through our feature list, the most satisfying part of the release process has always been the "day-after basking," where we take in all the unexpected ways the community is taking advantage of new gameplay possibilities. This has only gotten more exciting since the arrival of the Science and Mission features - not only are your vehicles getting more ambitious, but the missions themselves are starting to get pretty elaborate. The ways you’re getting the U-Dunkit module into alien seas are emblematic - it’s quite an awkward part, and the vehicles that it’s attached to tend to be delightfully weird!

image.png
Shadowzone does a Laythe dunk (full disclosure, he discovered a bug on this journey, but I think he still had fun)

image (1).png
Shadowzone is dunk-drunk, and now seeks out puddles across the Kerbolar System!

image (2).png
Audaylon with a rare double-dunker with fore and aft Dunk-its! 

image (3).png
@GalaxDragon aka Yuri has managed to get their U-Dunkit nowhere near any liquid at all

image (4).png
@SciVirus has used the part in an unexpected but delightful way

We’re looking forward to the new possibilities that will be opening up to players in the coming year, especially with the arrival of colonies! We’re making good progress in that area right now - why, here’s a stately little orbital test colony over Duna (it looks extremely cool with all the modules rotating):

image.png

Thanks for continuing to share your creations with us, and thanks for helping us to make KSP2 even better in 2024!

Nate

• Community Manager

Since we're celebrating, here's a few of my favorite community contributions over the past year;

I think I've watched jeremybrett1933's LET'S ROCK video probably every day since it's been out. Just gets me HYPED

Datau03's recreation of the classic Build Fly Dream trailer is fantastic

QAnsbXl.png

Inspired by KSP1's Final Frontier double F mod, Wayfarer's Wings by KSP2 Modder leonardfactory adds an accolade system so you can track the achievements of all your Kerbals. Incredible work.

image.png

Diana Gearhead's engineering of airships has been truly impressive, especially considering we couldn't figure it out and she wouldn't tell Nate how they worked for MONTHS.

Bradley Whistance's returning to content creation to cover KSP2 was really exciting. If you haven't seen his videos, check em out.

image.png

@Socraticat's Halloween Pumpkin was the talk of the office the week they shared it. They blew our own office pumpkin carvings out of the water.

Madishmike's Titanic definitely wins my Boat of the Year award. The amount of detail they managed to fit in is just incredible.

image.png

I genuinely could not stop laughing the day this hit the top of /r/KSP.

----

There's A LOT more that I just couldn't get to in this post, but I did make a series of Community Highlights posts here on the forums all last year. Definitely check out those. And if you have a favorite piece of KSP2 content/moment from the past year, share it below!

Thanks for playing our game and thanks for making this community a joy to work with. Here's to more greatness in 2024!

A year in, and Colonies remains the part I'm most excited for. Even more than Interstellar or Multiplayer. Pardon me while I take a few hours to drool over the Orbital Colony pic.

1 hour ago, Nate Simpson said:

We’re looking forward to the new possibilities that will be opening up to players in the coming year, especially with the arrival of colonies! We’re making good progress in that area right now - why, here’s a stately little orbital test colony over Duna (it looks extremely cool with all the modules rotating)

Is there *any* chance we could get that as a video clip? Even a short one? Pretty Please?

Edited by stephensmat

Happy (early) birthday KSP2! I love the direction you guys at Intercept have taken the game, and I look forward to see more! :D

Those orbital colony modules look epic. I can't wait to build a proper interplanetary vehicle.

I'm most impressed by the creative uses of the aquatic ball. The KSP community always finds fun to do with balls, from Stayputnik to the sphere MH pods.

1 hour ago, ShadowDev said:

its a crime this video was not mentioned 

Yeah it's really sad he stopped uploading videos after this one...

Hopefully with the addition of science and new updates we'll see more creative ones in the near future, but so far this has been my second favorite KSP2 content besides the original cinematic trailer.

It's things like this that make me glad KSP2 released into early access when it did. The team at IG has done so much over the years and I imagine the community had something to do with that, which only would have been possible if the game had been launched. I mean, imagine where we would have been if the community hadn't had any input towards what the direction of the game should be.

And, even though I can't speak for everyone, I think that lessons were learned over the course of the year by both the team at Intercept and us as a community. A lot went into the development of this game (and I imagine a good bit of caffeine and snacks too) and you guys should be proud of what you've made so far!

Congrats on the anniversary guys! Can't wait for the colonies!

8 hours ago, Dakota said:

image.png

@Socraticat's Halloween Pumpkin was the talk of the office the week they shared it. They blew our own office pumpkin carvings out of the water.

I was super proud of this pumpkin. I'm tickled that it made this post!

I've been taking in "For Science!" privately for my own enjoyment. I had to step back for a minute so I could get into it with fresh eyes. I had a lot of fun hyping KSP2 last year and I look forward to sharing all of the new fun I've had in the Tech Tree!

Thanks to the KSP2 team for all of your efforts. And thanks for the mention!