KSP2 EA Grand Discussion Thread.

James Kerman

It must be some kind of social phenomenon to which social scientists can devote some articles. I stopped playing KSP1 quite a while ago due to annoying little bugs while waiting for KSP2, but I got the same as the rest. And now I don't play any of the games. Although not quite like that, I don't play almost anything...

I wonder how soon this topic will be closed? Previously, discussions of the problems of KSP2 were suppressed.

22 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

I wonder how soon this topic will be closed? Previously, discussions of the problems of KSP2 were suppressed

Most were closed cause they devolved into shouting matches and insults. Plus this is the 4th time I think this subject has been brought up. Beating dead horses comes to mind.

13 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

Most were closed cause they devolved into shouting matches and insults.

This happened because some users can not calmly observe the discussion of the problems of the game.

I think a lot of old regulars were ready to say goodbye to KSP1 and experience new things with KSP2, especially after development officially ended. Now they're stuck not wanting to go back to KSP1 that they played a million times, but can't really play KSP2 yet either.

8 hours ago, VlonaldKerman said:

Well, I would expect KSP 2 to temporarily increase players in the old game, which it did.

It did after people tried it and had to go back because it was unplayable. However, I'm sure there's a lot of people caught in that limbo where they wanted KSP2 and were ready to say goodbye to KSP1 and now don't feel like playing either. Pretty much what @Brofessional said.

8 hours ago, VlonaldKerman said:

Yes, this is my point. Why now? The timing is too specific to be coincidental, but I don’t know what actually happened to the 2.5k daily players that either left, or stopped using steam when KSP 2 released, but had been playing the game regularly for years up until that point.

You can also see that a lot of people turned tail and tried Juno during the release. They probably didn't find what they were looking for there either, which gives the theory that they're on that "limbo" a bit more weight. In my personal case, I picked up KSP1 a bit before the release to do a farewell mission, only to be greeted by the disaster that was KSP2, and actually went back to playing 1 for a couple months, even now I still boot it up once in a while.

Guilty, picked up KSP before KSP2, and right now not playing at all. Mainly because of summer and light outside and therefore other things to do. Gaming always was a more a fall/winter thing for me. Also because I want science and tech tree progression. I'll pick it up later again, no rush.

It has actually declined by significantly more than 50%, combined with an extreme decline of Youtube and twitch content. It's basically just brand damage.

Also, Parallax 2 and blackracks clouds are interesting technical products. They are very ugly compared to KSP2. I don't they need to factor into an argument at all nor are they 'the best mods' in KSP1.

51 minutes ago, K33N said:

blackracks clouds… very ugly compared to KSP2.

Hard disagree on this; blackrack’s clouds look a lot better on my PC than the KSP2 ones do, and the mod’s other features (rain and lightning/thunder) aren’t even present in KSP2.

I don't think that it's fair to compare modded KSP1 with KSP2. We should think about the fact that features that would come with mods in KSP1 (scatter, clouds, ocean waves, etc.) come with KSP2 in stock. Graphics mods like Parallax 2.0 also require a beefy computer to run. KSP2 plans to reduce their minimum requirements over time, making features that would come with mods in KSP1 more accessible.

Don't get me wrong; I really appreciate what the modding community is doing with KSP1. And I also know that KSP2 needs some work before it gets to the promised level of graphics. But in my opinion, comparing a heavily modified, completed game to an early access game isn't a good comparison.

I played lots of (modded) ksp, bought ksp2 first day but haven't played since the first patch. Couldn't  bring myself to go back to the first game, went back to cities skylines. 

I'm sure I'll play ksp2 again some day (when it's a whole lot better), ksp1...not sure.

23 hours ago, Brofessional said:

I think a lot of old regulars were ready to say goodbye to KSP1 and experience new things with KSP2, especially after development officially ended. Now they're stuck not wanting to go back to KSP1 that they played a million times, but can't really play KSP2 yet either.

So yeah, this.

38 minutes ago, TwoCalories said:

I don't think that it's fair to compare modded KSP1 with KSP2. We should think about the fact that features that would come with mods in KSP1 (scatter, clouds, ocean waves, etc.) come with KSP2 in stock. Graphics mods like Parallax 2.0 also require a beefy computer to run.

But you just compared KSP1 with mods and KSP2!
This is an interesting question - what other sequels were compared in the graphical part with the original game with mods? I don't remember such examples.

@regex The irony is killing me right now... I've checked in to see this all day. Same thing on mobile or desktop (cause it's a widget error I'm sure)

It's  probably just a hiccup, but between timing of updates and the timing for the above comment...

Screenshot-20230809-164237-Chrome.jpg

49 minutes ago, Socraticat said:

It's  probably just a hiccup, but between timing of updates and the timing for the above comment...

Well vOv There's two sides to communication...

Here, hope this helps:

tsaeLMC.png

I didn't mean to throw shade with my "irony" comment if it was read that way. I just can't help but giggle when I see something like that. Like, c'mon; doesn't the team have enough to deal with? (I'm not the only one the widget shows error for, right?)

So what I'm seeing is that we can expect a timeline for the next release within the next two weeks?

I'm just reading between lines here.

And looking back, and to be clear, @The Aziz pointed out the widget, @regex pointed to the location on mobile.

I think you are both community gems.

23 minutes ago, Socraticat said:

I didn't mean to throw shade with my "irony" comment if it was read that way. I just can't help but giggle when I see something like that. Like, c'mon; doesn't the team have enough to deal with? (I'm not the only one the widget shows error for, right?)

Nah, I don't see how anyone could take it that way and besides, it could be on either end so who to rage at?

It showed an error on mobile for me, too. Just had the computer on and screencapped Discord for you, NBD (for others out there, you can subscribe to just the announcements channel and avoid the cesspool of scrolling madness if desired).

• Community Manager
47 minutes ago, Socraticat said:

I'm not the only one the widget shows error for, right

looks like there's an outage on the bot we're using to make that happen. looking into workarounds.

On 8/8/2023 at 3:59 PM, Brofessional said:

This sort of describes me. I stopped playing KSP1 years ago, before KSP2 was announced, even, and have only toyed with it since. Every time something new (usually a challenge or interesting mod) pulls me in, the whole been-there-done-that takes over and I go find something else to do.

This is not a fault of KSP. It's a fact of life. Once you've done something it's old, and old things are boring.

When KSP2 offers something that I find is worth the cost, I'll buy, play, and (I hope) enjoy it. Until then, I've got a ton of other stuff to do that doesn't involve playing a game I've played to death.

12 hours ago, Royalswissarmyknife said:

Reveal hidden contents

Completely agree with Keen here. The hyperfixation on realism makes them look like a sore thumb. You can give me a good reason not to think this, or you can just mock us since that seems to be the dayjob of many here.

6 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Completely agree with Keen here. The hyperfixation on realism makes them look like a sore thumb. You can give me a good reason not to think this, or you can just mock us since that seems to be the dayjob of many here.

They are very different styles.

if I had to argue Ksp-1 with mods looks way better but they are both very different for what they are trying to accomplish.

mostly a matter of opinion of what style you like but I would say Ksp-2 looks to childish to me personally not too different from the game as a whole right now.

I think most of us can agree Ksp-1 without mods looks WAY worse the Ksp-2.

Spoiler

I have actually played both Ksp-2 Stock and Ksp-1 with all the newest visual mods unlike some people who like to compare them.;)

Clearly communication has not stopped.

For anyone that doesn't know, @Dakota walks though fire to show commitment to communication. Even through the depths of hate and ignorance, Dakota keeps level and cool- what else is there to do? The team works, progress gets made, the pace is what it is, and there's not much else to say!

Except... Dakota does everything possible to ease those who are so frustrated with development. Even after direct insults, I've seen the utmost calm and cool. Even when Dakota's words have been misconstrued, taken out of context, outright fabricated by malingerers... the response is "Hey, I get it. I love this community."

BRAVO!!!

I'm going to spend a portion of my day reading your reddit profile as a masterclass in being a decent human being online.

Good Golly.

7 minutes ago, Socraticat said:

Clearly communication has not stopped.

Seeing this post and then this is a trip:

5cv7g37r57hb1.png?width=960&crop=smart&a

Dakota accuses Reddit (or some of its users) of botting to downvote his posts, because the posts on release notes are "overwhelmingly positive". And when things are not overwhelmingly positive, it's because the negative sentiment "snowballs" after being "swayed" by bot downvotes.

10 minutes ago, PDCWolf said:

Seeing this post and then this is a trip:

5cv7g37r57hb1.png?width=960&crop=smart&a

Dakota accuses Reddit (or some of its users) of botting to downvote his posts, because the posts on release notes are "overwhelmingly positive". And when things are not overwhelmingly positive, it's because the negative sentiment "snowballs" after being "swayed" by bot downvotes.

Have you not used Reddit before? Lol