Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

2 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

If a user makes a name change request and then logs out, I would imagine a certain amount of panic if they try to log in unaware the change took place and bounced off the authentication during log in. At least if it was me, I would have a moment or three of panic if my username suddenly failed me, my first thought would be did i misspell my name and not about the change request but thats just me lol. Maybe Im just over thinking it. Thanks for replying :) 

Hmmmm this is an aspect I haven’t thought of before.     Consider yourself a volunteer.   I hope you enjoy the new random name we give you, and make sure to give feedback on the experience.   

Thank you for choosing Kerbal Science.   

:sticktongue:

41 minutes ago, Superluminal Gremlin said:

Whats with the numbers?

They've explained before 

Its formatted with the 24 hour clock then month day year so: 031309052022 means 313am on september 5th 2022. Its a far more accurate way of tracking when something is posted. The default time stamp used by the forum becomes less accurate as time passes. :) 

1 hour ago, ColdJ said:

Is people asking, what @AlamoVampires time stamp is, one of the most asked questions on the forum? :)

Ive seen it asked quite a number of times (id hesitate to guess, but its asked alot) since i started doing it in 2016. Its why ive asked at one point if it should be added to an faq somewhere :D im always happy to explain it, but i take equal joy watching the speculation that pops up about it from time to time.

16 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

If a user makes a name change request and then logs out, I would imagine a certain amount of panic if they try to log in unaware the change took place and bounced off the authentication during log in.

As a user who changed his name, I can attest to this exact thing happening 100% of the time.

At least 100% of the time I did it.

Using @Superfluous J as an example of what I was thinking, specifically in the portion he quoted and confirmed as what happened to him, would it be possible for whomever maintains the actual under the hood workings of our lovely forum to possibly add in a way for users who request a name change and are logged out of the forum to receive an email alerting them that their requested new name is active? Or is this just wishful thinking on my part?

19 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

Using @Superfluous J as an example of what I was thinking, specifically in the portion he quoted and confirmed as what happened to him, would it be possible for whomever maintains the actual under the hood workings of our lovely forum to possibly add in a way for users who request a name change and are logged out of the forum to receive an email alerting them that their requested new name is active? Or is this just wishful thinking on my part?

It's unfortunately wishful thinking. Invision (who make the software we use) seem to be more interested in adding internet points systems and badges than actually useful features. :(

1 hour ago, AlamoVampire said:

We have a much longer list of higher priority items than something that will happen only once to a user and only when they request it to happen.  

2 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

If this does happen to you, and you change your name and unwittingly cannot log into the forum because of the name change, you can use the "forgot my username" option. I know this from experience, the great teacher of all things. There are two other forums I use that also use this same software (Invision). One allows the user to change their own name, the other follows similar protocols as we do here. And that's the one where I had no notification the user name had changed (from the old one - alanaeas to adsii1970).

1. When you log in, simply click the link that says "forgot user name/password" and it takes you to a screen where you must enter the email address you used when you first created your original account. Enter the password, click submit.
  2. Check that email. It will contain your user name and a link to reset your password. If you need to reset your password, then do so.
    • If you do not need to reset your password and just needed to find out if your user name was changed, then go to step 3.
    • If you need to reset your password, follow the instructions contained within the forum software. It is literally step-by-step instructions.
  3. Go to the forum login screen, enter the shown user name and your password. You're back in. :) 
43 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

We have a much longer list of higher priority items than something that will happen only once to a user and only when they request it to happen.  

@Gargamel is correct in this. None of the moderation team are paid; we are all volunteers. Right now, my life has been completely turned upside down, shaken up, and then dropped on the floor. What began as an easy semester with three undergraduate classes at a local community college, two graduate classes at a local university, and 25 advisees (students who I advise on their academic endeavors) has turned into a living nightmare. I now am advising 37 students and have picked up an additional graduate course in U.S. Constitutional History since the tenured professor quit in the middle of the term. I am now averaging about 60 to 70  hours a week working in my vocation.

The time I have on the forum has gone from about five hours each day to maybe an hour and a half - if I am lucky. Last week I was only able to get on the forum for a total of 3 hours for the entire week. While I cannot speak for other members of the moderation team, I place my focus on the things that are the most important for the community. Not too long ago, in this very thread, someone commented about the lack of spam and spambots - and we do not use any automated process but the human process. We operate as a team, we discuss what we do. We need a balanced approach and we are all passionate about our love for the forum community and our service given to it. Consider us the forum equivalent of the Vatican's Swiss Guard - except y'all are who we serve, we protect the integrity of the forum, and we don't get paid (wait, does that mean that @Ghostii_Space is the commandant of the Forum guard?).  :cool:

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Laikanaut said:

If we want to discuss a mod idea for KSP 2, which is the appropriate forum? I'm unsure if the "add on discussions" area is designated for KSP only

That's as good a spot as any until there are appropriate subs for KSP2. 

On 11/3/2022 at 8:31 PM, Rutabaga22 said:

What are the rules for posts on my profile? Does it have to be ksp related or could I share something I'm proud of in another game?

There are a variety of threads already in existence on the forum that are about other games, too. The one that comes to mind is:

It's a place where folks share all kinds of stuff about the games they play, including strategies and screen shots. Might be something to take a look into.