KSP2 Release Notes - Update v0.1.3.0

Intercept Games

Yeah... That sound bug is a game-breaker for me... I thought this was tested, I thought QA had an extra couple of days with it and this wasn't picked up? Are we going to get a hotfix for it or we waiting 10 weeks until we see anything?

4 hours ago, Intercept Games said:

Fixed: trees vanish before they are completely off-screen

Nope... On max settings and they still appear and vanish in around a 200m radius :unsure:

Edited by TickleMyMary

As critical as I have been about the pacing of patches (and I am sure I will continue with that), I will give some appropriate credit here. 

I built a rocket capable of going to and orbiting both Minmus and Mun in a single trip then returning to  orbit, then de-orbit to Kerbin. Something in KSP1 I can do in my sleep now but until this patch was always a question despite the displayed Delta V.

• I just played around with  a new build using the Trumpet engine and I have to say, this engine is awesome. Very nice work there, we still need engines to fill a lot of the gaps, but this is a good start.
  • VAB works A LOT smoother, and framerate there on my far below optimal GPU is much better (I do 1080p resolution...)
  • Looks like the stage Delta V values are working correctly now. Thanks for that, it was maddening to design a rocket that didn't report correctly.
  • Fairings seem to be working much better in VAB, see nit below...
  • Rockets seem a lot less noodley,  At least the one I built does.
  • Framerates in launch and orbit with Kerbin in view MUCH better. not stellar, but smoother. (With moderate complexity rocket, nothing crazy)
  • It has a rather ineffable quality to it, but flight in orbit seems smoother, can't really explain why.
  • This is a lot closer to what the initial EA release should have been. (Still missing reentry heating is not a good look).

I will play with a plane soon, and add any comments then. I haven't visited rovers since very early on, they deserve a look too.

And some nits found in playing with it for an hour-ish...

• OK, well... I ran into a new (to me) VAB camera bug. I am not certain how I got there, but I can't rotate the view around a rocket I am building, will try to determine cause, had to leave VAB and reenter to recover. If I can figure out how it got there, I will post a bug report.
  • Played with the fairings a bit in VAB... why do the buttons to add or subtract segments lie directly on top of the OK and cancel buttons? It's not unworkable, but it should be cleaner.

1 hour ago, RedderThanMisty said:

Having the same issue here.

Was flying in a standard mk1 command pod with a parachute and heatshield, Launch seemed alright, but re-entry, coming in at about 500m/s was very janky.

For starters, the pod always wanted to lean heavily towards one side, even with SAS.

Then it started changing trajectory as if it was a high performance glider, adjusting course at 20g towards the opposite direction of wherever the nose was pointed.

Then I pointed the nose down, and it flung me up on a sub orbital trajectory 90km in altitude, and on the way back down, it briefly slowed down in the upper atmosphere, before accellerating to about 1km/s as I hit the ground.

Just experienced the same thing.  

Rocket config was from top to bottom..  Small nose chute, Mk1 Pod, Sm Decoupler, smallest sm ML tank, engine plate, spark engine, sm decoupler, largest sm ML tank, sm sustainer engine.

Launched to low kerbin orbit AP=80k Pe = 40km.  

Staged to pod only.

Waited for Pe@40k

When at 40k and below bare pod in... 

1) retrograde experiences almost zero drag/deceleration as velocity barely slows.

2) Prograde experiences drag/deceleration as expected.

3) Any attitude with nose perpendicular to prograde experiences the most drag/deceleration as expected.

4) at about 30km altitude, in retrograde attitude, chute deployed and didn't help to slow the pod.  Pod maintained ~ 2000ms until chute broke off at ~ 15-20km.  

5) attempted to yaw 90 degrees to try and decelerate pod...    Upon reaching 90 degrees to prograde, trajectory changed and raised AP and put the pod into an elliptical orbit greater than 90km AP.  

Summary: Mk1 pod is lacking any drag simulation when in upper kerbin atmosphere while retrograde.   Pod exhibits hugely unrealistic and exaggerated aerodynamic force when in upper Kerbin atmosphere and attitude is perpendicular to prograde.   

Game is still hugely FUBAR and the most basic, fundamental physics necessary are non existent or completely screwed up.   

Maybe they should just sell the game to an interested party that has the knowhow to fix this hot mess.

Still having the issue where I have an SOI entry and then when I warp to it, I am no longer intercepting and do another lap around the star instead. So between that and the missing stuff to do I will go back into hibernation again. Performance did seem alright. Oddly had my first wobbly rocket today and I had to strut it down hard. I have been lucky and not really suffering from it or performance before patch but appreciate any help to others.

3 minutes ago, EvelynThe Dragon said:

It has a rather ineffable quality to it, but flight in orbit seems smoother, can't really explain why.

frame times.. im telling everyone frametimes is king

you can have 30 fps due to fps limitation or 30 fps due to frametime instability, its such a difference but a lot of people just look at the fps.. its an amazing feeling to have high fps and low frametimes..

however i been noticing two things so far

• game feels like its in "nascar" mode when at above 60fps
  • the flinging things coming out of warp is back.

2 hours ago, axtpg2i said:

Reentry capsule

There seems to be a big problem here, many reentry capsule don't have the correct drag. They maintain high speeds even close to the surface and continue to accelerate.

I just ran into that on a second mission with the same craft, first time worked as expected. Ripped my chute off  the capsule and it crashed.

6 minutes ago, Elemental said:

Still having the issue where I have an SOI entry and then when I warp to it, I am no longer intercepting and do another lap around the star instead. So between that and the missing stuff to do I will go back into hibernation again. Performance did seem alright. Oddly had my first wobbly rocket today and I had to strut it down hard. I have been lucky and not really suffering from it or performance before patch but appreciate any help to others.

That was one of the things that didn't make it into this patch. It's quite disappointing.

Did a quick test flight, Significant improvement but still a lot of bugs/issues. But at least now I'm more confident my rocket is less likely to Kraken mid-way through a mission.
[Working on Reporting the Bugs but I need to see if I can repeat them and then fill out an official bug report]

Good patch from what I've been testing so far. The performance has been good enough for me since patch 1 but each patch is smoother and that's welcome.

Just a bit sad the SOI change bug didn't make it to this patch though.

Air brakes are a welcome addition.

They insist on being control surfaces though, which I was expecting to be a toggle.

Also - for some reason my test-jet had them deploying inwards in some configurations.

But still - Welcome addition!

4 hours ago, Redneck said:

These guys are making progress lets give them some breathing room and continue to point out what works and what needs improvement. I expect nate will point out more tomorrow. Lets try to keep the pitchforks at a minimum, they still working on some things lets give em lil break guys they working on it

4 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

I won't even launch the game unless these three get fixed.  The missions i want to do involve all three of these.  Back to KSP1.

Funny that these are 2, almost opposing, views; and yet I agree with both of them.

I won't bother booting up this game without stable trajectories (sort of a necessity on multi-year missions), and I'm simply not interested without reentry heating. Once those issues are rectified, I will take interest once again. And, when some form of progression is added, I'll actually start playing again.

That being said, I'm happy to see some progress being made. I like the head-down, shoulder-to-the-wheel approach they seem to be taking. Yes, all these things should have been addressed before launch, but it doesn't do them much good to look back right now. Just keep moving forward and make the game we've all been waiting for.

In the meantime, I'm running through the Dark Souls franchise. On DS3 now. Guess I'll buy Elden Ring after. If KSP2 isn't ready by then, there's always the Steam Summer Sale. I'll bide my time.

22 minutes ago, PyroSA said:

Air brakes are a welcome addition.

They insist on being control surfaces though, which I was expecting to be a toggle.

Also - for some reason my test-jet had them deploying inwards in some configurations.

But still - Welcome addition!

From my first tryout, the airbrakes deploy when you perform a roll maneuver, even below the usual limit of 0°. In my opinion definitely a bug. They don't move when you pitch or yaw.

8 minutes ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

I won't bother booting up this game without stable trajectories (sort of a necessity on multi-year missions), and I'm simply not interested without reentry heating. Once those issues are rectified, I will take interest once again. And, when some form of progression is added, I'll actually start playing again.

That being said, I'm happy to see some progress being made. I like the head-down, shoulder-to-the-wheel approach they seem to be taking. Yes, all these things should have been addressed before launch, but it doesn't do them much good to look back right now. Just keep moving forward and make the game we've all been waiting for.

In the meantime, I'm running through the Dark Souls franchise. On DS3 now. Guess I'll buy Elden Ring after. If KSP2 isn't ready by then, there's always the Steam Summer Sale. I'll bide my time.

Agreed.  I like that some progress is being made, but the progress being made isn't enough to get me to play.  Yet.  I will just continue to wait until those three bugs are squashed...if they ever do.

2 hours ago, Buzz313th said:

Maybe they should just sell the game to an interested party that has the knowhow to fix this hot mess.

Maybe they should have just built upon KSP1.

Just now, the_tunnel said:

Now all we need is for the fairing creation tool to be connected to the fairing base for the fairings to be perfect. The update after that is perfect.

I haven't fired up KSP2 since the second patch, so please excuse this question if it's a bit late or stupid:  can we make interstage fairings yet?  Or do we still have to build all the way to the tip lest we get the collision warning?

4 hours ago, jclovis3 said:

I wouldn't be too sure on that. While engine thrust may be continuous in ships not in focus for the purposes of interstellar travel, the aerodynamic physics may still be constrained to a physics bubble around the active vessel, which means your de-orbiting parts that leave the bubble will not succumb to drag unless Take2 can devise a performant low calculation way of handling that for parts outside of the bubble.

Yeah I'd be controlling said first stages. Kinda like how I used to do it on Xbox with recoverable first stages before being spoiled with stuff like FMRS.

37 minutes ago, Skystorm said:

@Scarecrow71 You can create interstage fairings by using the engine plate and adjusting the bottom node distance to your liking.  Attaching something to the other end automatically creates a fairing.

The engine plates have, to date been something to avoid. Have those been meaningfully improved? I haven't had a chance to test the game yet as I'm not at home right now (work).

So I've been playing for an hour.

During one hour I have encountered:

1. Symmetry bugs: check.
2. New bug (I think its new?): can't change symmetry while holding a strut.
3. Rockets still tend to disassemble at the launch pad (weak joints).
4. Inline decouplers are still wobbly as hell.
5. BREAKING: Instead of deorbiting while in low orbit, the game threw my vessel out of the Kerbolar system during Mun landing attempt. (Pic 2.)
6. We still don't have stage TWR.
7. Can't create maneuver nor see PE at the rendezvous with a celestial body (now tell me how much you played KSP 1, huh?)

The once beloved and very awaited game is still broken as hell and lacks a lot of features (even essential ones). No, I'm not speaking of science. I mean TWR, ability to analyze your trajectory BEFORE you actually rendezvous. Ability to create ANY maneuver node not being limited to your dV. And so on, on and on. Its totally a shame.

Oh and, yes, 20 FPS with a ~50-100 part rocket  on the launch pad and during ascent on RTX 3090, 32GB and i9-9900X.

The rocket is pic 1 (semi-rigid after applying a lot of struts between stages). Its very simple - it doesn't even have batteries.

Spoiler

UP5a0NtftAs.pngimage.png

Edited by atomontage