Introducing For Science! - Major Content Update Out in December

Intercept Games

So I have a couple questions...

How will the experiments work?  Will they be over time experiments that can take anything from minutes to years (hopefully)?  And if so how does that interact with the satellite data transmission system?  For example if I have a relay network set up around a planet and start sending data from a vessel on the surface will it consume bandwidth across the network, and so reduce how much is available for other vessels linked to that network?

There's the possibility for a lot of interesting dynamics and interactions there.

Edited by alexalex

2 hours ago, The Aziz said:

This has been done before, did you like it?

Believe it or not, yes. I had a specially designed craft that could carry 3 to 4 small probed vessels docked to it. I would send it to the target body, so Kerbals wouldn't need to return upon collecting data. They could do more sci-stuff. I lost many of these probes in deep space due to signal loss, battery drain and dV miscalculations. But I learned...

2 hours ago, Royalswissarmyknife said:

Judging by the trailer at Space Creator Day it seems like they actually want you to use unmanned craft more.

I'm actually using Unkerballed in my KSP1 campaign right now to get more used to using unmanned vessels and sounding rockets.

Edited by Scarecrow71

1 hour ago, FleshJeb said:

Zoom out to map view and hit a theoretical Thermal View button, and it displays the running average temperature from that probe as a red radius around that probe. Drop probes all over the planet and watch all this data shift and blend together as you timewarp. (Some observant players will notice that it's latitude-dependent, and they may learn something.) If you've got enough coverage, and you've run it long enough, the planet's info panel will show you the minimum and maximum temperatures for that planet.

Nertea actually mentioned colonies heat managment on hot planets will be a thing. That would be a great opportunity for such probes that can collect data on how hot a specific region of a planet is to be really useful!

10 hours ago, Quasar2007 said:

Excited for the FOR SCIENCE! update!

I think we all are mate. It's great that a lot of the broken trust between community and developer could be restored with For Science! that and Nate's humility at Space Creator Day. Honestly wishing them the absolute best with the roll out of 0.1.5 and 0.2.0.

1 hour ago, Scarecrow71 said:

I'm actually using Unkerballed in my KSP1 campaign right now to get more used to using unmanned vessels and sounding rockets.

I mean when you think about it, that REALLY is the way space exploration should go... probe/rover first, kerbal/manned mission second.

Hey,

Just watched Nate's presentation at Space Creator's Day and it's lightly to say I'm almost crying.

I'm one of the frustrated day one players, was supportive in the following 2-3 months, but seeing that none of the core issues were solved with patches, plus bad performance, lack of comms and frustration when I try to use landing gears and wheels, I went full anti.

SO, watching this now, seeing Intercept making the right moves with Blackrack and QA dept.  and literally seeing all my frustrations (physics related mostly) will be addressed, I might allow myself to be faithful.

+1 Faith restored.

Best,

9 hours ago, Kerbart said:

Breaking Ground is a good example. You set up the earthquake detector and then you have to slam something into the ground close to it. It's one of my favorite science missions because you get a reward for being accurate. Also, Breaking Ground Science, because it's more involved, cannot simply be evolved with "let's bring everything all the time."

What would make it more interesting if starting an experiment requires a follow-up that doesn't appear to be random but isn't the same every single time either. Even better if it returns something you can use in the game -- either info on planets you didn't have before, or scientific discoveries. Since planetary parameters are static, the obvious thing is that research results directly in tech tree progress -- just not on something free to choose, but rather on what was discovered, just as in reality. Want more structural parts? Research more materials! Want more exploration parts? Research exploration stuff! That kind of approach.

I guess I should've been more clear when I said "minigame". Because this is what I had in mind....Not playing "tic-tac-toe" over and over again. 

5 hours ago, alexalex said:

So I have a couple questions...

How will the experiments work?  Will they be over time experiments that can take anything from minutes to years (hopefully)?  And if so how does that interact with the satellite data transmission system?  For example if I have a relay network set up around a planet and start sending data from a vessel on the surface will it consume bandwidth across the network, and so reduce how much is available for other vessels linked to that network?

There's the possibility for a lot of interesting dynamics and interactions there.

This sounds awesome but unlikely to be in the base game.

Sounds like a Satellite mod to me similar to the one we had in KSP1.

The science over time is definitely the way to go as well. It's like that in Karbalism and is a far better system than base KSP science collection.

Hopefully the game gets part failure as well.

Using a (relatively new) quote from one of the older science teasers, apparently science experiments won’t be using a time-sensitive matter but rather want to “encourage new ways of playing” and “go into special situations”. An example used is that to get a certain thing you need to go into geosync orbit to gain a certain resource. This methodology is being used across both research collection and science gathering in the game by the devs. Don't fret - it won't be just "go to location and click button". Furthermore also you can see this via the giant diving bell contraption, most likely incentivizing the use of large water crafts. Take a look at the parts again and you can see how they are all meant to teach the player to do new things - and to complete a challenge associated with each one. Also transmission time will become more of an issue I believe because with transmitting science if your transmission is cut off from, say, a planet getting in the way, it will cause you to need to do if differently. We should get more into in the coming weeks - but (and this is the last point, I promise) also keep in mind how the mission system is now completely different than before.

This  message is for those sorta wondering about if its a carbon copy of ksp 1 - its not. Science now is the side progression to missions, not the other way round like ksp 1.

7 hours ago, Vl3d said:

Several dozens new "discoverables" - this makes me happy and hopeful.
Exploration, for science!

Several dozens on planet-sized... Planets.

I hope there will be a way to detect them beforehand from space, otherwise it's gonna be like looking for a needle in a haystack. Just like with easter eggs.

You know, after the initial hype I have more and more concerns about the way this is going.

Edited by The Aziz

On 10/22/2023 at 5:48 PM, TriggerAu said:

Various parts of the code do already use these kind of multi-threading and performance tools - Jobs is in a range of the Physics type calculations. Finding the best solution for each challenge invariably includes where can/should we use these types of tools - PhysX Joints don't lend themselves to that "easily", but lots of adjacent to Joints things do.

That's nice! Also to be more specific, are the any plans to switch part of the game to ECS?