KSP2 Hype Train Thread

7 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

You misread me.  I agree with all 3.  All 3 should be used as to not leave anyone out.  However - every pronoun that has been used in the last month is 'they'.  'They' is not inclusive to those who don't identify as 'they'.

I was under the impression that a large part of the appeal of the singular they is that it's gender neutral, and can be used to refer to anyone if you aren't sure of their gender. And if the kerbs are a batch of completely randomly generated traits, it makes sense to not gender them.

3 hours ago, TLTay said:

Doesn't mean I can't keep telling Nate et al that it's ridiculous in aerospace simulation to treat aerodynamic forces like stuff to throw on the backburner.

I'm really not sure why everyone's so pressed about this christmas joke being somehow "proof" that aerodynamics are still going to be completely unrealistic. I mean, I think the joke made it pretty clear that the reindeer actually couldn't fly very well.

1 minute ago, Fletch4 said:

I seem to have noticed a pattern of daily posters in this thread: @JoeSchmuckatelli, @The Aziz, @Rutabaga22, etc.It's interesting to notice how much the hype has died.

Well, it's less about hype and more about waiting now. We've got a release date, and it's not even that far away. The sense of 'maybe today we'll know' is gone.

3 minutes ago, stephensmat said:

Well, it's less about hype and more about waiting now. We've got a release date, and it's not even that far away. The sense of 'maybe today we'll know' is gone.

Eh, I think the problem is the lack of new info.

We get about one new screenshot a week, nowhere near enough new stuff to generate hype.

2 hours ago, obney kerman said:

And if the kerbs are a batch of completely randomly generated traits, it makes sense to not gender them.

Okay but we have the kerbals and kerbalinas, and so it shouldn't really be that much of a problem to just... swap the pronouns as the need arose. At least from the material I've seen, there's no real "gamete neutral" kerbs, so it's as simple as a bit flag check.

I'm more confused on how these are generated, to be honest. Were the weird errors a result of bad photoshop, or something else? Gusming's is obviously the longest, and yet it's got no problems compared to Merfal or Orney, whose lines cut off pretty obviously. One of them is so bad I can't even figure out what the heck it's supposed to say. Mad? Sad? Lad???? Merfal, what are you feeling!?

Edited by Missingno200
Missed a word during my censor pass. Oops.

I remember when they also referred to  a group of people that was otherwise indistinguishable…..oh wait that was today.

sorry I’m to old and set in my ways to worry about it.  If a person wants to be referred to as he her they you or whatever I try to remember so I can go along with it. But then I have also had to deal with people who’s proper pronouns and honorifics depend on there age, relative age difference between you and that person, personal relationships like teacher, parent,  doctor, sibling, friend, ( and the KIND of friends you are) schoolmates, coworker,  and sometimes what bloody season it is. And that’s not even explaining why one day everyone became either To Tuo Sia, nio, nioo (  yes there was a difference, beyond Nioo  usually being 10-15 yo boys I think and nio being older ( 20 ish + women) no I could not figure it out,  beyond Miko s being somehow involved. I spent the week that happened  both confused and being politely  corrected by amused people.  ) 

14 hours ago, TLTay said:
15 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

I know :)

Doesn't mean I can't keep telling Nate et al that it's ridiculous in aerospace simulation to treat aerodynamic forces like stuff to throw on the backburner.

I'm gathering that a LOT of players never even go orbital, but just plug around on the ground or with planes. They do not want to make it hard for little Timmy to build some comically unrealistic aircraft. They don't want little Timmy's parents refunding the game "cause it's too hard." I get it, but at least give us a more challenging option? A multi-billion dollar publisher should be able to give us better aero than one guy on his free time can...

A. Little Timmy is irrelevant. Even with stupid ASDA-grade aerodynamics, Timmy is going to have the game refunded when they struggle to figure out how they're meant to make rockets.

B. Have you played with Ferram? It doesn't make the game unplayable at all - if you can build a plane that flies in stock, it doesn't take Einstein to figure out how to make a plane that flies with Ferram. Most of my aircraft, if anything, perform better with Ferram installed.

Edited by Bej Kerman

11 hours ago, Fletch4 said:

@Rutabaga22

I don't know if I should be considered daily, but I am hyped for ksp 2

15 hours ago, Minmus Taster said:

I'm either Johnwin or Mitbles depending on how destructive I'm feeling.

Based on looks I'd be Seanster or mitbles

21 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

Haha and he didn't even have ANY thrust!

Granted that was pre-1.0 when the atmosphere was ... let's just say even less realistic than it is now.

Yeah, some guy who had a number of horses. But I do remember that post.    I look forward to seeing the wacky creations we’ll get with KSP2. 

5 hours ago, The Aziz said:

There was a whole long, and frequently locked thread regarding Kerbal identities. Let's not repeat that.

Please.    This.  

4 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

B. Have you played with Ferram? 

Yes. Won't play without it anymore. I'm a firm believer that stacking eighteen wings on top of each other mere inches apart shouldn't get your rocket powered office-building off the ground and 5 miles per hour... not sure if that still works in Kerbal, but at one point it kinda did. Stock aero was exploitable. Hoping for less comedy and more realism. 

13 minutes ago, TLTay said:

Hoping for less comedy and more realism. 

Right on board with this. If anyone's sad about Intercept's focus on "defeating the Kraken", then they were only playing KSP for bugs you probably could find in other games. Aerodynamics, solid bug-free physics, etc. shouldn't be topped by "flying reindeer lol" in a physics game nor should bugs be allowed to roam for the sake of cheap laughs when they more often than not caused endless frustration in serious playthroughs.

15 hours ago, Fletch4 said:

I seem to have noticed a pattern of daily posters in this thread: @JoeSchmuckatelli, @The Aziz, @Rutabaga22, etc.It's interesting to notice how much the hype has died.

15 hours ago, stephensmat said:

For me, I'm still very hyped but I'm no longer anxious or fearful now that we have a release date.  Plus my worries about physics bugginess have been partially allayed by the recent in game footage of rovers and landing legs.  As as result there's less need to hyper-analyze every scrap of info about the game on the forums.  This is a good thing.

12 hours ago, The Aziz said:

There was a whole long, and frequently locked thread regarding Kerbal identities. Let's not repeat that.

It was supposed to be a funny segue into my actual confusion, and also there wasn't really any room for debate to begin with. I made sure of that for a reason.

6 hours ago, TLTay said:

... I'm a firm believer that stacking eighteen wings on top of each other mere inches apart shouldn't get your rocket powered office-building off the ground and 5 miles per hour... not sure if that still works in Kerbal, but at one point it kinda did. Stock aero was exploitable. Hoping for less comedy and more realism. 

Well, it doesn't, and secondly, when did that EVER factor into legitimate, serious designs? You could still have realistic designs that work just fine in KSP. In most cases, stock aero is principally fine, though flawed. It's the type of flawed that needs you to go out of your way to mess with it though.

That said, you're welcome to play however you like, I'm not gonna stop you.

5 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Yes, but it's not like it's practical and efficient. The shape of this example isn't completely broken, it just has a nose and a very wide tail.

What in the world does this have to do with the price of tea in Taiwan? Am I missing some context here? The reindeer in the screenshots is by far not the weirdest aircraft out there, and arguably weirder designs in real life have been worked on.

10 hours ago, Deddly said:

You know, with enough resources, funny designs are possible in real life, too:

Aerogallo-5.jpg

Now I had to get out of bed to google image search this image,

as an punishment some made an RC plane who looked like real size lawnmower, that one was truly bizarre. 

6 hours ago, Nirgal said:

Why did you check?! If you keep checking it adds more seconds! :wink:

Clocks don't work like that. 

Relevant:
Kerbal Astronomical Society
When Laythe was first discovered, it was not entered in the records because the scientist in charge thought he was looking at Kerbin.
Luckily this error was corrected when a plucky intern informed him that “telescopes don’t work that way”.
The intern was shortly afterwards “promoted” and moved to the experimental rocket testing program.

Lots of other stuff like watching something cock works just like this, just not clocks.