An update of sorts from your forum moderation team.

49 minutes ago, MARL_Mk1 said:

I'm not 15 . I couldn't give a damn about GTA anymore, and watching this trash corporation play like this with such an amazing project and developers only makes me decice to not touch their IPs anymore.

Now, go buy another Take-Two game and feel ashamed of yourself.

These two statements are in contradiction. The mature answer is not to start hurling insults around and taking it out on the easiest, biggest target. Sinking KSP2 took a lot of people, a lot of missed calls, and a lot bad stuff from multiple sides. And no, this isn't defending TakeTwo, but actually pointing out that they aren't the only ones to blame, they're just the easy target by being a faceless corporation that's not gonna come swinging back at you. The answer also isn't blaming the people that got scammed for wanting to play another fun game. That kind of outrage-tivism died long ago on the worst times of Twitter witch-hunting.

3 hours ago, Demcrew said:

A round table discussion needs to be held on Discord, involving the moderators, the top 10 members, and the top 10 mod creators.

I'm certainly not the best placed to figure out a viable solution, there are many ramifications I'm not aware of.
So here are my 2 cents:

1. Ownership and Legal Considerations: This forum is the property of Take2. Any steps we consider will require their approval, especially those involving the transfer of ownership or content. This needs to be legally reviewed and approved.

2. Data Export and Migration: We should seek to export the forum data from "Invision Community," including posts and user accounts. This data can then be migrated to a new platform, which we need to identify.

3. New Hosting Solutions: We can consider moving the forum to a new instance hosted by an XYZ provider. Note that this might involve advertisements to support the forum, depending on the platform and hosting company.

4. Future of Moderation: The role of moderators and the nature of their work will need to be discussed. Moderation will continue to be voluntary, so we must recognize and respect the time and effort they contribute.

I am willing to offer a server to host the forum, and I believe others in the community might also be able to assist.

One crucial point to remember is that the new forum must be independent of any third parties that could control its future, such as Curse. If we aim to make this a true community asset, it needs to be owned and managed by the community from start to finish.

For 1: Do not even go there. You might not want to get all legal about IP ownership because a lot of the modding community only exists because of T2 turning a blind eye to the blatant EULA violation some mods surely must have gone through *wink* to exist, which is decompiling the game. As far as legal cleanliness stands, a lot of mods are not in a position to be part of any legal discussion.

For 2: I highly doubt you'll get access to the raw database. So what you should seek is to backup at least the visible data. We shouldn't even be considering copying the forum, just safeguarding the information hosted therein.

For 3: Again, barking at the wrong tree. Even if you did get that database backup, when hosting another instance of Invision you'll run into licence costs for invision even if you absorb the costs of hosting yourself. Ads will only give you as much as people look at the forum and click on them... which is literally nothing for 1000 people looking and maybe 10 clicking by mistake in the official forums, gonna be less for your unofficial forum.

For 4: Well, if you got that far... good luck.

4 minutes ago, cocoscacao said:

Tell that to stakeholders or whatever. 

The Skateholders.

9 hours ago, chefsbrian said:

Its more likely than not that the forums stay up. Put simply, the forum costs are a margin of a margin of a cost, but provide a great metric to point to while they try and sell KSP or PD as a whole. Even if it just sits for years in their backlog of IP that they're open to proposals for, the KSP property is worth millions, and keeping the forums likely costs in the realm of a few thousand a year... [snipped for brevity]

Costs are less of a concern than the lack of direction. Small bills will go unpaid if there's no one around to process the bills. Regardless of how small the costs are, if after the layoffs a tiny invoice goes to an unwatched inbox then that bill will go unpaid, and some service used by these forums might break.

9 hours ago, Westinghouse said:

Out of interest, what evidence is there that the forum will be shut down?  ...

No evidence that the forums will be closed but lots of evidence that the forums are at risk. A tiny problem can become fatal if no one left has the authority to fix it.

So I trust that the only way would be for the content creators to progressively move to a new identified platform.

Similar to what's being made with a mod adoption, a link to the new post, and the new post to reiterate the OP content. 

We just need to take a step I guess. I'm no one to kick this off :)

if take two were a person i would give them the roman spike treatment and leave them hanging at the city walls entrance for all to see. their silence is absolute horse dung. what a piece of trash.

If it wasn't for the mod community, I'd never visit these forum and just stay on the KSP sub on Reddit.  The heavy handed moderation by the admins of this forum is irritating to say the least. (Don't want to say anymore or my post will be moderated).

2 hours ago, DeadJohn said:

Costs are less of a concern than the lack of direction. Small bills will go unpaid if there's no one around to process the bills. Regardless of how small the costs are, if after the layoffs a tiny invoice goes to an unwatched inbox then that bill will go unpaid, and some service used by these forums might break.

Kerbal Space Program domain expires On: 2026-04-14. They will forget to renew the contract, domain will get sniped by tokyo domaintrolls, and it will remain for sale till the end of times. 

Let the record state i called this :D

The 502 errors of the forum part of the domain tells me they already forgot about the server hosting the forum, and already forgot to include it in several routers.

If these forums do disappear, it's been great hanging out and chatting with everyone here over the last 12 years. And thank you to the mod team for all their hard work keeping this place going <3

1 hour ago, Izny said:

They will forget to renew the contract, domain will get sniped by tokyo domaintrolls, and it will remain for sale till the end of times. 

For once, @Izny, I agree with you. You called it.

12 hours ago, theJesuit said:

a banner on spacedock.info as that is owned by members of the community.  That would be where I would go to see if i could find any info to point me to a new place.

Good idea, I'll do that if my contacts turn up something worth announcing.

Might as well start a migration to the Steam forums for both KSP and KSP2 because that's the other major place for the community and that's not going to be going anywhere anytime soon.

37 minutes ago, K^2 said:

Seems like a good place to thank the moderation team, with @Vanamonde and @Gargamel in particular, but everyone's been great, really. If it all gets demolished in the interest of profit, goodbye, and thanks for all the fish.

@Deddly @Snark @adsii1970 @Dman979 @James Kerman @Angelo Kerman @OJT @Geonovast @18Watt @Supernovy @goldenpeach @Starhawk and others too that the forums aren’t bringing up the @ for.    We don’t work in a vacuum, while you may not see them posting a lot, they’re there, and it’s a team effort.     It’s just a few of us that tackle the visible side of moderating.   
We just ask your patience in this trying time, we’re in this for the long haul.    We fully plan on being here for a while.   

7 hours ago, PDCWolf said:

For 1: Do not even go there. You might not want to get all legal about IP ownership because a lot of the modding community only exists because of T2 turning a blind eye to the blatant EULA violation some mods surely must have gone through *wink* to exist, which is decompiling the game. As far as legal cleanliness stands, a lot of mods are not in a position to be part of any legal discussion.

This is, frankly, my worst nightmare. This is going to bite our sorry SAS'es royally. See my signature for the reason (or this link).

4 hours ago, Izny said:

The 502 errors of the forum part of the domain tells me they already forgot about the server hosting the forum, and already forgot to include it in several routers.

It appears to be related to site load. These pesky 502 and 503 http errors started to happen pretty early, almost the same day they announced the P.D. closure and before the last employees were kicked out to the streets.

IMHO, would you be right, I would be experiencing these 50x errors all the time, but in the last week I only experienced them between 02:00 and 5:00 Zulu. Today I start to get them more or less at 21:00 Zulu.

My guess is that someone downgraded the hosting plan or something similar.

I think that a way to mitigate this is to activate the html caching - but, obviously, this have some drawbacks.

6 hours ago, Izny said:

Kerbal Space Program domain expires On: 2026-04-14. They will forget to renew the contract, domain will get sniped by tokyo domaintrolls, and it will remain for sale till the end of times. 

Let the record state i called this :D

I've bookmarked this post and will chastise you on 2026-04-15 if the forum is still up.

I won't congratulate you if it's down because - well - it'll be down. So I'll congratulate you now on being correct.

Surely there's some sort of free forum server/service that can be used, at least until something more permanent gets established?

Who owns the IP for the original KSP?