Community Poll: Subforum Order

Dakota

Subforum Category Order  

493 members have voted

1. 1. After the General subforum, which group of subforums should be first on the front page of the forum?

• Kerbal Space Program 2 (General, Gameplay & Technical Support, Mods)
    • Kerbal Space Program 1 (General)
    • Kerbal Space Program 1 (General, Gameplay & Technical Support, Mods) [into parent categories]
    • Community (Science & Spaceflight, Kerbal Network, The Lounge, KSP Fan Works)

• Community Manager

As mentioned here, letting the community decide how this forum will look moving forward.

I've added this poll to a widget on the front page as well.

Feel free to use this topic to discuss the decision.

Please could you explain the difference between option 2 and 3? It's not clear to me.

[Edit - Ninja]

Edited by Deddly

Before any KSP2 categories, can we go back to the way KSP1 was layed out before the KSP2  was added please?

• Community Manager
5 hours ago, Deddly said:

Please could you explain the difference between option 2 and 3? It's not clear to me.

[Edit - Ninja]

Sure.

KSP2 threads are currently split between three subforum categories:

image.png

While KSP1 is under one category (with technical support and mods WITHIN the KSP1 parent category):

image.png

It's a minor difference but could be important to some so I put it as an option.

32 minutes ago, Dew169 said:

The KSP1 dlc’s were in their own subforum prior to KSP2’s arrival in the forum.  Under option3,  are they going to broken out too?

I personally don’t see the need. Useful when they first came out but I don’t think there is enough discussion surrounding them to warrant it. They would just be mostly dead. 

I voted for 3.

My reasoning is that there should be 3 or 4 blocks:

1. KSP1
  2. KSP2
  3. Everything Else
  4. Maybe split 3. into random stuff (Lounge, Games) and "official" stuff (forum rules, announcements about the forums/discord/official community stuff)

1 hour ago, Superfluous J said:

I voted for 3.

My reasoning is that there should be 3 or 4 blocks:

1. KSP1
  2. KSP2
  3. Everything Else
  4. Maybe split 3. into random stuff (Lounge, Games) and "official" stuff (forum rules, announcements about the forums/discord/official community stuff)

I agree. This is how I generally expect a forum to be for games. Original first, then sequel, then everything else (KSP related), then everything else (non-KSP related).

Unless KSP2 becomes more popular than KSP1 (not likely). Only then should KSP2 be in the top position.

Edited by Mitokandria
clarification

8 hours ago, Dakota said:

Sure.

KSP2 threads are currently split between three subforum categories:

image.png

While KSP1 is under one category (with technical support and mods WITHIN the KSP1 parent category):

image.png

It's a minor difference but could be important to some so I put it as an option.

Thanks! In that case, I would have voted for 2, and I would have liked KSP2 to have the same style. But that's probably just because I don't like scrolling. :)

Ksp1 and it’s subs (GPQ’s, tech, mods, et al)

Ksp2 and subs,

Community-  Since we are for the foreseeable future devless, I don’t see any reason to keep announcements or dev notes as a highlighted sub forum.    Move all these types of things down into sub forums within the kerbal network.   

But my main concern is that if we start moving stuff around now, and it breaks shortly after, which it has been prone to do after such changes, who will be around to fix them?  

Are we going to give a Lead mod or two admin powers to maintain housekeeping abilities?

2 hours ago, rebel-1 said:

Judging by the number of players in KSP2, the second-part section can be deleted altogether and no one will notice it.))))))

No, we should keep it. A small but healthy modding community may be able to keep KSP2 alive even though official development has stopped. The modding community may complete the planned roadmap and take the game beyond.

6 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

No, we should keep it. A small but healthy modding community may be able to keep KSP2 alive even though official development has stopped. The modding community may complete the planned roadmap and take the game beyond.

Look at the last post dates and times in the KSP2 modding subs. Now look at the dates and times in the KSP1 subs. Now look at the post dates of NEW mod releases for KSP2. Months ago. Not even Spacedock has anything new when it come to KSP2. Even Blackrack has gone back to 1. Right now it's a waste of space and mod time to keep those subs around. Time to roll up the red carpet, put it in storage, and if the KSP2 modders want to continue then they can petition the mods here. 

Edit: Considering all the 502/503 Gateway errors I see trying to navigate this forum...it's pretty safe to say that not even the forum itself is immune from deletion.

Edited by calabus2

I would vote for a hierarchy like:

• General
    • yada yada yada
    • yada yada yada
  • Community
    • yada yada yada
    • yada yada yada
  • KSP1
    • KSP Daily Kerbal
    • yada yada yada
    • KSP1 Gameplay and Technical Support
    • KSP1 Mods
    • KSP1 Expansions
  • KSP2
    • KSP2 Dev updates
    • KSP2 Discussion
    • yada yada yada
    • KSP2 Gameplay and Technical Support
    • KSP2 Mods
  • International
    • yada yada yada
    • yada yada yada
  • Kerbal Edu
    • yada yada yada
    • yada yada yada

I think Community should goes first to enforce what we are, a Community for KSP (all of them) enthusiasts.

I tinkered on shoving International inside Community (as it would make sense), but wondered if this would not make it harder to find for non english speakers.

Edited by Lisias
Better phrasing.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEEEEEASE, split out the KSP1 mods sub forums under a main KSP1 Mod category like it used to be so that we don't have to click into a KSP1 modding sub forum to then navigate to Add On Releases or Add On Development. Having them immediately accessible from the main forum page is such a QoL improvement.

... that and the fact they are the most active part of the whole forum.

6 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEEEEEASE, split out the KSP1 mods sub forums under a main KSP1 Mod category like it used to be so that we don't have to click into a KSP1 modding sub forum to then navigate to Add On Releases or Add On Development. Having them immediately accessible from the main forum page is such a QoL improvement.

Second this.

7 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

Third this.

5 hours ago, Poodmund said:

The fourth is strong with you. :) (Yes, please)

8 hours ago, Poodmund said:

The fifth is with you

With a landslide on our hands can we expect these changes to go into effect before the end of this week when IG closes up shop? Also, will there be any word addressing admin responsibilities of the site after June and the studio closure?